Thursday, April 2, 2009

climbing everest

when i woke up the other day the dominating thought in my mind was "everest is not an accumulation." i often wake up with thoughts/ideas racing through my head and i sometimes wonder where they came from or chuckle them away, but this time i went straight to my computer and wrote:

"Everest is not an accumulation of smaller mountains; rather, it is one large mountain that must be climbed one step at a time."

it occurs to me that even relatively large "mountains," though challenging and exhilarating in their own right, are the training ground for "everest;" the skills and the knowledge necessary to climb everest being learned through scaling such other "mountains." ultimately there is no subsitute for actually making that ascent, for everest is everest and it cannot be replaced by an accumulation of any number of smaller "mountains."

1 comment:

  1. Oh! and I just got the little play on words of your title. I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete